Submissions are now closed
Borders and Crossings 2019
An interdisciplinary conference on travel and travel writing
4–6 July 2019, University of Leicester, UK
Conference language: English
Deadline for abstracts: 25 March, 2019
Notification of acceptance: 1 April, 2019
We invite scholars and creative practitioners with an interest in travel and travel writing to the 2019 edition of the Borders and Crossings conference series, held at the University of Leicester from 4–6 July 2019, and generously supported by the Midlands4Cities DTP.
This is an interdisciplinary conference open to all scholars, including those working in literary studies, travel and tourism studies, media and journalism studies, creative writing, history, politics, sociology, and geography, with a focus on any time period and any geographical context.
Proposals from established scholars, early-career researchers and independent scholars are equally welcome, and as this edition of Borders and Crossings is PGR-run we particularly encourage proposals from postgraduate students.
We are also very keen to encourage proposals from creative practitioners in all forms – whether working inside or outside of academia – whose work addresses issues of travel, (im)mobility and border crossings.
Proposals are invited for 20-minute papers or creative pieces, and for 60-minute panels of three speakers.
Topics may include, but are by no means limited to:
- Theories of travel and travel writing
- Travel writing and the self/other; travel writing and identity
- Travel/travel writing and class/gender/sexuality
- “Voyages and travels”; the history of travel writing
- Travel writing and nature writing/ecocriticism
- “Contact zones”; traveller and travellee
- Indigenous voices, “writing back” and “travellee polemics”
- Narrative, space and place
- Travel journalism, guidebooks and digital media
- The craft and practice of travel writing
- Travel to/from/around Leicester and the Midlands
Please send proposals of no more than 250 words for a single paper, and up to 500 words for a panel, plus a biography of up to 100 words including your academic affiliation (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org, by 25 March 2019.
Borders and Crossings 2019 is financially supported by the Midlands4Cities DTP, with additional funding from the University of Leicester School of Arts.